01 November 2013

Drift - the debut album by Lasertom

Gorgeous album artwork by davedarcy.com/

So, I don't usually write much on here, I prefer to let the music speak for itself. It should go without saying that if it's on Swooner, I think it's ace. But every once in a while something comes along and 'I think it's ace' is an insufficient amount of words to describe it. The album 'Drift' by Lasertom is one such thing. So here are some other words: Beats. Space lasers. Beautiful. Darker beats. Epic. Layers. More space lasers. Groove. Dance. Repeat.

It's rare for me these days to be taken with an album in its entirety as opposed to just liking a few tracks. And although I have my favourite songs on it (No Play and Norwegian Pine today), Drift as a whole is quite moreish and satisfying and seems almost cinematic in its cosmic journey. Reminiscent of some of Lindstrøm's tunes (albeit less frantic than most of his) it could be the soundtrack to an amazing space movie - à la Interstellar 5555.

So yes, it is way more than ace. But now. Enough words! Use your ears! Decide for yourself:

If you can't see the above box, click here

I saw Lasertom (aka Dublin's Simon Cullen,) live at Body and Soul last summer and it was definitely one of my highlights. If you ever get a chance to check him out I'd highly recommend it. The album release party will be in The Twisted Pepper on November 29th. Go to Lasertom on Facebook for updates.

soundcloud.com/lasertom-blast-crew
Buy Drift at Juno

No comments:

Post a Comment